Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Modern Puritan

For those of you that don't know what a puritan is, they are a religious group that strictly follow the rules of god. They devote their live to living away from sin, and to work hard all their lives to ensure there passage to heaven. If they sin, there is sure punishment and even death. They hang on a thin thread of god that he holds with his Index and pinky my fingers over the hot fires of hell. They are taught from the youngest age to be a perfect puritan, but why so strict? People nowadays are lean, relaxed, and tolerate a lot of sinful actions. However be aware of the modern day puritan that is every home, let me introduce you to mine.
My mother is my modern Puritan. Strict with rules and harsh on punishments. Let me give you an example of what I mean. One day I asked my mom if I could to go to the park.  She looked and glared at me for what seemed an eternity, gleaming into my eyes, as if she was searching for any bit of deception in me. She then gave a sign of relief and said, "Ok, you can go.  But you have to finish all of your homework, do extra reading, and help me with some chores I haven't finished." I did as she said, and I got ready to step outside right before she asked said," oh and be home before 7:00 you know how bad this part of the neighborhood can get." .......

It was 7:08, and I can't begin to tell you how mad my mom was. She sat me Ina chair, and began to lecture me of how I could have gotten hurt, how I could have gotten stopped by someone, how she didn't know  where I could have gone to or who I was even with and doing god knows what! That went one for....let’s just say 20 minutes. When she was done, she grounded me of my park privileges and also took away some of my stuff. I just sat there in my room, thinking of how strict my mom was and how I got punished by breaking a curfew by a few minutes. I also thought of why she was so strict. But then it hit me, she give this neighborhood a bad reputation. From what she here from the news, the neighbors, she must have thought that I died in those eight minutes. But I didn't, I saw what was there. Moms gossiping on the benches, children playing tag on tell jungle gym, teens at the basketball court, and not one sign of danger. My mom doesn't know this side of the story; she only knows what she has been told and the dangerous and bad things that could happen. This might be why the puritans are so strict as well. They only know the horrible side of their actions, so to keep away from them; they follow the Puritan ways as strict as possible. I myself am Catholic, and take it from me, the son of a modern puritan, those people are scared of  what they don't even know about, that's why you have to question ideas that you differ against, just like how some people rebelled and went against the Puritan church. Please if I have offended the reader in any way, please forgive me because on not a racist or a religious jerk.

2 comments:

  1. Your story was definitely fun to read, and was a well-explained example of the way a Puritan would act in modern times. But I feel like that ginormous paragraph could have been split up a bit to make it flow better. Aside from that minor gripe, you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is like this too! Like Aidan said, this was fun to read. There are a few grammar errors, though. Is your dad like this too?

    ReplyDelete